Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Oh no it is raining .... Where will I walk my dog?


It looks like those of us in the Atlanta area are in for some rain over the next few days. As I type this the rain is coming down outside the Dog Trainer's shack. Copper is sound asleep and Cuddles is getting attention from Mommy so, I guess all is right at the shack, here :) .

Well, if you are like me and prefer to avoid getting wet, and don't really want to dress your little guys or girls like the one on the left here, there are other alternatives.

There are many retail businesses that allow well behaved dogs. The obvious are the pet supply retailers (i.e. Petco, Petsmart, etc.). I have also found that The Home Depot and Lowe's are excellent places for indoor walks due to their size.  Both Lowes and Home Depot have signs indicating that pets are not allowed but they really do not seem to mind if the dog is well behaved. Also, our friends and Bed Bath and Beyond welcome all pets. The lovely Shane and I have even taken Copper shopping with us at Anna's Linens in Fayetteville.

One interesting note however for anyone reading this is southern California: I am not sure that I understand the reasoning here, but apparently Petco Park where the Padres play only allows service animals with the exception of certain special events. Sort of ironic, I suppose, that Petco paid many millions of dollars for naming rights to a space that does not allow dogs when dogs drive so much revenue for Petco. Just an observation in passing :). I don't suppose it is really a good place for walking in the rain anyway.




Copper and I often walk in and out of all the isles at Petsmart in Fayetteville then we go into The Home Depot next door and make three or four laps around the perimeter inside the store. This has become or rainy day routine. Petsmart has a scale and we get weighed when we are there. Copper also really enjoys getting attention from the staff there.

When I was employed with Petco in Peachtree City, it was always interesting to me that very few people took advantage of our indoor space to walk their dogs on rainy days. I always suggested it to my Dog Training students and many of them took advantage of it. I am not certain why the retail pet stores don't advertise and encourage customers to walk their dogs on rainy days in the store. It seems like it would be an excellent opportunity to market products to them.

Earlier I wrote about the importance of walking with your canine buddy. I have also written many times about how important routine is to dogs. I strongly encourage you to maintain the routine of walking with your dogs even in the rain. You don't even have to get wet doing it!

Now remember, have fun walking your buddy! If you have a guy who pulls on the leash Copper and I will be happy to teach you how to teach your buddy to stop pulling and behave properly. Feel free to contact me at any time!

Till Next Time

-William-

William Moore
William Moore Canine Training
678-702-4791
fayettedogtrainer@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment