Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Progress report on our foster dog, Penny the tiny Beagle.

 I am not sure if you can tell in these pictures but, little Penny is making great progress! She is filling out. I really do think she is putting on weight though I have not weighed her. Believe it or not there is no scale in the Dog Trainer Shack, not even a bathroom scale. I suppose, at some point we should get one but it is not exactly a high priority in our lives right now.

She is eating like a little horse! As is typical with Beagles, she loves food. She is led by her little nose!


 As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been using Nutri-Cal in an attempt to put some weight on this little girl and I think it is working.

She is the first dog that I have ever seen that does not like Nutri-Cal right out of the tube. I take two small treats and make her a Nutri-Cal sandwich with them. She loves that! I have been doing this two or three times a day.
As you can see in the picture, she loves her new foster brothers, Copper and Cody, here they are relaxing in the back yard at the Dog Training Shack.

The Lovely Shane recently took her on a little trip to her parents house. She did this to see how well little Penny would get along with her parents toy poodle (Benny). We were also curious how well Penny would do around our grandson.

The Lovely Shane reports that Penny did great with the grandyoungun (for those of you who do not live in the south, that means grandchild). However, Penny was very vocal around Benny. She did not really like him getting in her face and barking. I suppose I would have been vocal too in her position.  However, this indicates that Penny may not be great around toy breeds. I think they probably make her anxious and nervous. This is something that may get better with time and more (slow and controlled) socialization with toy dogs.

Penny seems to be very willing to learn. Here is a video that I made of me and the Beagles. We were working on waiting at the door. Penny saw Copper and Cody working on that behavior and she joined in the fun. She did very well for a first attempt. Then we came in the house and the Beagle boys and I were working on "leave it" and Penny joined in with us again. For the first attempt, she did great!


Penny does still need some work on behavioral stuff though. It is all fairly minor things such as, she likes to jump on you for attention, we are working on this.  She also likes to nudge you with her nose when she wants to be petted. I discourage this behavior because, I should be the one who pets her, not the other way around. But, as I wrote, all this is minor. She is overall, a very sweet and fairly polite and well behaved little girl!

Penny is scheduled to be at Petco in Peachtree City  this Saturday. She will be there from around 11 till around 4. If you are interested, please stop by the Bully Wag table and see her. 

She will also probably make an appearance at a fund raiser for Bully Wag in Newnan on Friday. I will post updates here as we get closer to Friday.

If you would like more information on Penny or on adding an adopted dog to your pack, please contact me at anytime!

Also, if you have recently added a new member to your pack, I will be happy to help you with your in an effort to make your new little guy or girl a polite and well behaved dog.

Please also contact me with any questions/concerns. As always, my goal is to help you train a polite and well behaved dog!

Till next time

-William-

William Moore
William Moore Canine Training
fayettedogtrainer@gmail.com
678-702-4791

No comments:

Post a Comment