Sunday, July 21, 2013

Polite Dogs and Happy People

Polite Dogs and Happy People...

This is the real reason I am a Dog Trainer. It is my goal to help you teach your dogs to be more polite little guys and girls. Polite dogs lead naturally to happier people. It is stressful to live with a dog who misbehaves constantly and is out of control. It can be embarrassing to have a dog who pulls on the leash and does not behave well on walks. It is downright frustrating to be unable to get your dog's attention when you call his name.

These may sound, to some of you, as superficial problems. They really are not. If your dog is not polite and obedient, it is very frustrating and stressful. In a lot of cases, these frustrated owners eventually give up on the dog and the dogs in some cases wind up in shelters. I don't have to remind any of you that dogs who end up in shelters are often killed.

If you have one of these dogs please do not give up hope! It would be dishonest of me to tell you that it is always easy to train a dog to be a polite little guy. There are some frustrating cases. But, with determination on your part, the proper guidance, and consistent work incredible transformations can occur!

When I am out in the community, I, many times, see people with dogs that are not polite. It is not that the dogs are bad it is just that the people have not been consistent in their training or they are using inappropriate or ineffective methods of training.

I tell people all the time that dogs are not complex. They are not trying to spite you or to be difficult. They just, in many cases, are confused and do not understand what is expected of them. 

Since dogs are not really complex thinkers, they do not really understand even slightly abstract concepts. The dog is pretty much always focused on the present. This is why it does no good to scold a dog for something that they did while you were away. They will be confused and not connect the scolding to the past event. This can be very detrimental because they will likely connect the scolding to something that is occurring in the present and get the wrong message entirely.

In my experience, dogs do much better with positive reinforcement. In very basic terms, you reward the behavior you want to keep and you give the dog no reward or affection for the behaviors that you want to stop. It is a little more complex than those couple of sentences but, that is the basic idea. My advice is to provide a positive alternate behavior for the negative behavior that you are trying to stop.

I am more than happy to guide any of you through this process of training to get a more polite and better behaved dog. 


I have some new brochures that I give to prospective clients that I meet. Many of the local veterinarian offices, groomers and pet stores also have some of my new brochures  The reason I mention them is that the concept of "Polite Dogs and Happy People" is very prominent in this new material. It is my focus and my aim is to help you to achieve the goal of a more polite dog.

I do not take a "cookie cutter" approach to training. Your dog is unique. You are unique. Your family is unique. Your pack is unique.

Each dog has unique needs. Each of my clients have unique goals. Each dog has different and unique behavior issues.

Therefore...... I work with you, my client, to form an action plan to address your specific and unique training needs and goals. 

I also work with your schedule. I can be very flexible on scheduling. We do not have to meet at the same time every session. If your work schedule changes, my schedule can change as well.


These are the things that set me apart from my competition in the Dog Training Business. The big box pet stores (Petco, Petsmart, etc.) offer group classes. These are not bad dog trainers and I am not bashing their methods. But, they all work from a curriculum.  I worked from the same type of curriculum when I was employed as a Dog Trainer at Petco in Peachtree City, GA.  It is not a bad curriculum.... but, even though I had some flexibility,  there were certain things that I was forced to teach in every class that were not really applicable or helpful to every student. And there were some things that I could not teach because of the structure of the classes and the store environment. As an independent, in-home trainer, I no longer have those limitations.

I work with you in your home. This is where the dog lives and this is where I can best observe and get a much better handle on your dog's unique situation.

So, please contact me at any time. I would love to help you achieve your goal of a polite dog......and ultimately make you and your family happier people!

Till Next Time

-William-

William Moore Canine Training
678-702-4791
fayettedogtrainer@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment