Thursday, May 30, 2013

Human/Dog Connection .... Do dogs sense their owners feelings?


I talk a great deal about the human/dog bond. It is one of the reasons that I think walking your dog regularly is important.

People who have been around dogs for any length of time may begin to notice that the dog can sense your feelings. They can sense when we are sick. Most of the time when I am sick, Copper acts remarkably different. He stays physically closer to me than usual. I have noticed this with many dogs that I have had the pleasure of living with over the years.

Dogs can also sense our frustration. This is one reason that I encourage people to keep training sessions short and to end on a high note. If you get frustrated with the dog, he will sense that and become more stressed likely heightening your frustration. This soon becomes a vicious downward spiral.

I think my dogs can also sense when I am irritable or feel down. They certainly act differently. Copper really gives me a wide berth, so to speak, when he senses that I am angry, irritable, or just feel a little down.

I bring this up because, in training, it is important that you be in the correct mindset. If you have other concerns that are causing you stress or making you angry, try to do the training work with your dog when you are a little more relaxed and less stressed. It will make things more pleasant for you and your canine buddy!

You know, dogs are really pretty incredible animals. I have noticed over the years that my dogs have been very sensitive to weather changes. If a bad thunderstorm is coming, I can usually tell hours before it arrives just by carefully watching the behavior of my dogs. If you know what to look for it is easy. I have said before that dogs are very much routine oriented animals. If I see my dogs voluntarily breaking their routine, something is always causing it. Sometimes it is a change in the weather.

Well I hope you are all having a great week!

I am finally starting to feel a little better and am getting some work done.

Remember if you would like to talk about your dog's behavioral issues, I am always available. Feel free to contact me.

Till next time 
-William-

William Moore
William Moore Canine Training
fayettedogtrainer@gmail.com
678-702-4791

No comments:

Post a Comment